Quinta Do Portal Reserva
Please view wine facts for the current vintage below as the vintage on the image may vary.
This Reserva shows a concentrated colour with aromas of ripe black fruit and elegant floral notes in perfect harmony with some toast from the oak.
Well balanced on palate, with firm and expressive tannins, well supported by the volume and live acidity. The final is long and complex.
|AWN Wine Style
|AWN Wine Style
|Full Bodied Red
|Short Tasting Notes
|Concentrated. Ripe Black Fruits. Some Oak. Nice Tannins. Complex & Well-Balanced.
|Why AWN Pick This Wine
|Amazing value for money, a rich, intense, and complex wine.
|90pts – Wine Advocate 90pts – Wine Spectator
|Parmesan, Pecorino, Roast Pork or Lamb, Risotto
|Tinta Roriz / Touriga Franca / Touriga Nacional
|VARIETAL - RED GRAPES
|Tinta Roriz, Touriga Franca, Touriga Nacional
This estate that was known in the past as “Quinta do Casal de Celeirós”, has an area of 15 hectares all surrounded by a schist wall.
It’s an historic Quinta with references in the end of the XIX century that considered it as a “Model Property”.
It’s also mentioned historically as not having suffered the terrible plague of phylloxera. In 1877 Henry Vizetelly, author of “Facts about Port and Madeira” (Ward, Lock, 1880) drew the attention to the fact that this property hadn’t been affected by the plague and in 1886 the Viscount of Vilarinho de São Romão names it as a truly Model Property and writes: “it’s the only example that we know of a vineyard that didn’t suffer with the plague of phylloxera”.
It’s also historically recognized as being the first property in the Douro to admit women to tread grapes.
Henry Vizetelly wrote: "The young women skillfully gathered their garments up around them. When all was duly adjusted they sprang into the lagar, and, delighted with their task, danced for a time among the grapes with the frenzy if not the grace of a troop of wild Bacchanals. The sight was certainly amusing, although the proceeding was, perhaps, not exactly a decorous one."
They replanted this property between 1995 and 1997.